Tuesday, August 24, 2010

all ten fingers

Well God has certainly shown me a few things this past weekend. It's amazing how I never knew how tightly I was holding on to something until I didn't have it anymore.

My aunt shared a beautiful poem with me - I wish I had the words for you, but I can share with you the message. It was a poem about giving up the idols that we create for ourselves and how God can never give us the treasures in life that He wants us to have when we come to Him with our fists tightly clenched, holding on to worthless idols that don't matter. So we have to open up our hands, all ten fingers, and drop whatever's there. Then you wait and watch as God fills them up with His blessings.

I didn't realize it until she recited the poem to me, but I had been holding on to the worthless idols I had created. It was even more evident when the idols were gone. It was so obvious - if I wasn't holding on too tightly, then why was I hurting so much?

I don't think you can just give the situation to God though in one special, emotional moment and all of a sudden you feel better and never have to think of it again. oooooh no! Think again! I find myself giving it back over to God every time it comes to mind! And I'm still doing it! But as long as I keep doing it, instead of doing nothing at all, I figure I'm good :)

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I love hearing what God is teaching you and I LOVE getting to walk through life with YOU! You are so precious to me! Love you girl

    ReplyDelete